Wednesday, May 23, 2012

French 'Thank You'

On this Wednesday, I think I have found my vintage soul.  I love the look of shabby chic things, but I don't think I have the skills to really show case this style.  Even tho I try!  But, practice makes perfect, they say.  And so, I have been practicing.  I spent some valuable time in my crafting room, playing.
The lovely ladies over @ Stampin' Queens Sketch Challenge have been hard at work, to create some beautiful cards, to help inspire you.  So, let's take a look at this week's sketch:

When I saw this sketch,  I saw: open space to create, embellish, or let a pretty piece of pattern paper take the center stage.  The diamond at the top, is a wonderful shape to add my sentiment or just 'pretty' it up.  And the bow is always a welcome sight!  I think I can create something just lovely.  
So, here is what I did:

I'm actually very happy with how my card turned out.  The pattern paper is Twitterpated DSP.  Yes, both pieces.  The subtle blue pattern on the card base, and the gray floral on the main panel.   I used Basic Gray card stock as my base.  I love the soft, smokey look of this card stock.  
I matted the floral piece on top of a Baja Breeze card stock.  The decorative label is from the Four Frames stamp set.  I stamped this polka dot frame in Cherry Cobbler classic ink.  The sentiment, is stamped in Basic Gray classic ink, onto a piece of very vanilla card stock, and then punched with an oval punch.  The Merci is a stamp, from the french version of Rue Des Fleurs: Grenier Victorien.  And yes, I own this stamp set in English and French.
The banner strip is cut from Baja Breeze card stock.  I made (another) multi-loop bow, and attached the bow to the banner piece with an Antique Brad.
Now, to get the worn, vintage look of this card, I distressed all the edges.  I used a thread cutter to wear the edges of the card stock.  I sponged all those edges with Crumb Cake classic ink and then Baja Breeze classic ink.  I then took a blank red rubber stamp and added some tea stain to various portions.  I had a small piece (2" x 2") of First Edition DSP.  So, I added pieces of my scrap piece to the holes made by my thread cutter.   For the top corner piece, I curled the edge with a stylus.
For the ribbon, I took the edge of my scissors and ran it under the seam binding ends, to help fray them.
Thank you for looking.  I hope you have an opportunity to play along with us @ Stampin' Queens Sketch Challenge.  

Note: I'm not French, but I do purchase some of my stamp sets in the French language version.  I just love the look of a foreign language on some of my cards.  I think it helps give them a romantic and 'worldly' look.

1 comment:

Lisa Minckler said...

Sharon, Sharon, Sharon,...
I'm shaking my head back and forth in awe. This is so stunning! The sketch is great yes, but where you took it...amazing. I loooove the bits of wording paper you've placed in the 'holes' that looks outstanding!! An overall outstanding card.